Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Differently-abled Fazilka lad shines in cricket

Praful Chander Nagpal

Physically-challenged Neeraj Kumar of Fazilka in action at Navrangpur Stadium of Ahmedabad.
Physically-challenged Neeraj Kumar of Fazilka in action at Navrangpur Stadium of Ahmedabad.

Fazilka, November 5
He is like any another teenaged fast bowler, determined to send the batsman back to the pavilion. But the difference between him and the other bowlers is that Neeraj Kumar, 19, had lost his left hand in an accident six years back.

But the youth from Fazilka displayed courage and determination in the Indian Premier Cricket League (IPCL) that concluded today at Ahmedabad.

The son of a vegetable vendor, Neeraj Kumar, represented the India Blue team. The matches were telecast live on the DD sports channel. Neeraj took two wickets while conceding 33 runs in his four over quota against the South Eagles at Navrangpur Stadium.

Neeraj uses his other arm to bowl. The only limitation it imposes on him is that he can't bowl with a high arm action.

"Initially, I faced difficulties and was uncertain about my future in cricket but thanks to the unflinching support of my family, I was back on the fields," he said.

"My dream has come true. I cannot describe the feeling in words. I now want to prove myself in big tournaments," said the fast bowler. His parents, Hem Raj and Moolan Devi, said they were proud of their son's achievement.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2012/20121106/bathinda.htm#3

No comments: