Sunday, March 18, 2012

‘Jan Lokpal box’ to help minister make up lost ground of his slender win

A historic win in the state seems to have spurred the ruling SAD-BJP's legislators to look at different ways to consolidate the mandate. While the Shiromani Akali Dal's Dakha MLA, Manpreet Ayali promised a special phone number for graft-related grievances a few days ago, the new Forest Minister Surjit Kumar Jayani on Saturday installed a complaint box outside his office in Fazilka constituency.

Calling it a 'Jan Lokpal Box', Jayani says the reduced victory margin had forced him into the move. "This time my winning margin was only of 1,600 votes as compared to 16,000 plus in the previous polls. So keeping this margin in mind, I have installed this suggestion/ complaint box outside my office so that voters can tell me about my shortcomings and offer suggestions as well," Jayani said.

The BJP minister had not even celebrated his victory because of the thin winning margin and finally on Saturday there was a welcome rally for Jayani, in which BJP state general secretary Kamal Sharma was also present.

"I will improve my shortcomings after I get to know as what were the reasons which reduced by winning margin. In addition to this, I will also streamline the system if the masses tell me their problems in various departments. This box is for all those who want to keep their identity secret but also want to get their problems solved. A four-member committee has been formed to look into these complaints and this box will be opened once or twice in a week," Jayani said. The forest minister also says that he will reveal a dedicated phone number, through which , he says, voters can call him any time for their work and grievances.

No comments: